Are you looking for a delicious
SCD Soup Recipe?
Julia Tinkham-Ray, OTR/L, Pearl Natural Health’s Specific Carbohydrate Diet expert shares a delicious SCD recipe, Curried Pumpkin Soup, to enjoy this autumn season!
2 med onions, finely chopped (2 cups) ¾ tsp dried red pepper flakes
2 Tbls unsalted butter or coconut oil 2 (15 oz) cans *pumpkin (3 ½ cups) – not pie filling
2 lrg garlic cloves, minced 4 cups water
1 ½ Tbls minced fresh ginger 1 ½ cups chicken broth (12 fluid oz)
2 tsps ground cumin 1 (14 oz) can **coconut milk – not low fat
1 tsp ground coriander ¼ cup olive oil
1/8 tsp ground cardamom 2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 ½ tsps Salt 8 fresh curry leaves
- Cook onions in butter or coconut oil in 6 quart heavy pot over mod-low heat, stirring occasionally until softened, 3-5 min
- Add garlic and ginger and cook and stir 1 min
- Add cumin, coriander, and cardamom and stir 1 min
- Stir in salt, red pepper flakes, pumpkin, water, broth, and coconut milk
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes
*Puree soup in batches or use immersion blender and keep hot
- Heat oil in small heavy skillet over mod-high heat until hot, but not smoking
- Cook mustard seeds in hot oil until they begin to pop, about 15 seconds
- Add curry leaves and cook 5 seconds, then pour mixture into pumpkin soup
- Stir until combined and season with salt
*Farmer’s Market brand Organic Pumpkin or Butternut Squash in BPA free cans; available at Whole Foods and other markets
**Trader Joe’s or Natural Value Coconut Milk brands are SCD legal without added ingredients, (only water)
Let us know how it turns out! Post your delights on our facebook page!