Did you know that an estimated 2 million school days are lost each year due to chronic allergy symptoms in children. The prevalence of asthma and allergies has been increasing in Western countries over the last century at an alarming rate. Asthma, allergies, and eczema are related hereditary conditions associated with an increased production of certain immune system antibodies (Immunoglobulin E or IgE) in the presence of otherwise harmless substances, such as grass or animal dander.
Asthma, allergies or eczema can be triggered by:
- nutritional deficiencies
- genetic vulnerabilities,
- gastrointestinal or
- immune system problems,
- common environmental toxins such as pesticides and industrial air pollutants
They are referred to as “atopic” conditions, and the presence of one suggests that a person is at an increased risk for one of the other two. Often eczema begins in infancy or early childhood, then seasonal or environmental allergies develop, and these can lead to asthmatic episodes. In some cases, it may appear that a child has “outgrown” their asthma or allergies, only to have related health problems come up in adulthood.
One of the key aspects of Naturopathic medicine is to find and treat the root cause of illness. While there are many effective natural remedies to temporarily ease the symptoms of asthma, allergies, and eczema, it is essential to go beyond that in order to resolve these conditions completely.
Thorough medical history, family medical history, physical exam, and often lab work to determine the underlying factors leading to your symptoms.
Can include dietary recommendations and support, nutritional supplements, herbal and homeopathic medicines.
Atopic conditions and their pharmaceutical treatments over time can stress the body impacting other organs systems such as the adrenals and thyroid gland or the digestive tract. This can create a cycle of symptoms that is difficult to get out of without addressing the body as a whole and returning it to a state of health and optimal functioning.
This is what Naturopathic medicine can achieve, safely and effectively: resolution of current symptoms and prevention of future episodes. Our goal is not simply to keep treating symptoms as they continue to recur, but to heal the cause of your symptoms so they do not return, and help you to be healthy and vital.
Our evaluation includes a thorough medical history, family medical history, physical exam, and often lab work to determine the underlying factors leading to your symptoms. Treatments include dietary recommendations and support, nutritional supplements, herbal and homeopathic medicines. Our approach is safe, gentle, and effective.
Helpful tips for decreasing asthma, eczema, and allergy symptoms:
1. Avoid chemical-containing cleaning supplies or fragrances. Look for “earth-friendly” or “eco” products since these contain fewer harsh chemicals or clean your home with white vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda.
2. If you have pets, make every effort to have them stay out of the bedroom of the family member with allergies or asthma. If possible, keep them off the couch as well.
3. Dust often with a wet cloth and wash bed linens once a week. Change pillow cases every couple of days to minimize dust mite accumulation.
4. Many common foods can exacerbate asthma and allergies. Try an elimination diet to determine what foods may be contributing to your symptoms.
Make your appointment today to explore your treatment options by clicking here.