WHAT IS SIBO?
Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) is a condition in which bacteria normally residing in the colon (also known as the large intestine) are misplaced in the small intestine where they multiply and produce gasses that can result in extreme discomfort and a variety of health problems. According to many researchers and clinicians, SIBO is one of the principal causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
LEFT UNTREATED, THE BACTERIA OF SIBO MAY:
- Disrupt normal function of digestion
- Damage the intestinal lining (leading to intestinal permeability)
- Result in malabsorption of nutrients
- Lead to nutritional deficiencies,
- Create gasses that inhibit normal motility (causing diarrhea, constipation, flatulence, belching, bloating, abdominal discomfort, or frank pain)
- Cause immune system reactions, and enter the bloodstream wreaking havoc in other locations of the body
COMMON SIGNS & SYMPTOMS POINTING TO SIBO
- Bloating and abdominal distention
- Flatulence or belching
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Diarrhea or Constipation (or alternation between the two)
- Heartburn or “burning stomach”
- Headaches, joint or muscle pain, fatigue, memory loss, rosacea
Do you suspect you have SIBO? Call our clinic to set up your first appointment today.